Monday, July 12, 2010

Darkroom Mural Print

Sorry I haven't been posting my art work as much as I should be lately. I have been having great art experiences other than just creating, but I have been creating lots this summer too and I have so much art to post. Sometimes it just takes me a while after I create something to re-photograph it so I can post it. But I took some pictures and will be sharing them here in the next few weeks.



To start with, this is a self portrait I made as part of my BFA show. My BFA show is my senior project that is required for a Bachelors in Fine Art (BFA). I have been working since last December on it and will be showing it this November at Gallery East in Price, Ut. I am really excited about it.
This photograph was taken on a medium format camera called a Hasselblad. The film I used was Ilford Pan 50 which allows for really fine detail and beautiful contrast. I printed it large (30x32 inches) in the darkroom by projecting it onto the wall and then taping mural sized RC variable contrast silver gelatin paper to the wall to make the exposure. This photograph is about knowing you have an important decision to make and confronting your fears about it with confidence. It is about taking the first step towards change.

2 comments:

  1. Love the portrait, Rebecca. I built my first black & white darkroom in my backyard when I was about 10 years old using scrap lumber, black plastic sheeting and an extension cord out by bedroom window. I equipped it with an beat up enlarger I bought from an old man in my neighborhood. Spent hours and hours out there learning. Have had darkrooms in my various homes for decades. Over the last several years, with digital becoming such a big part of my business and my life, I haven’t had a darkroom. I miss it. I like your description of what the portrait is about. Thoughtful. Keep up your good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I had no idea you were into photography. That is so cool. I desperately want my own darkroom. Being a student and living in a small apartment isn't very conducive to that. But for now i have the school's darkroom I can use. I would love to see your photography some time. Sounds like you got into photography at a very young age. I can't imagine when I was 10 trying to set up a darkroom; it sounds so mature :)

    ReplyDelete